Thursday, August 2, 2012

Handcuffed in police car, police say man shot himself

Wow how stupid do police think people are? A young man named Chavis Carter was searched twice, arrested and put in a police car. The officers say Carter, while handcuffed, shot himself in the head with a gun. Sounds like BS to me.

A young black man is dead after he was shot in the head while in the back of a police squad car. Chavis Carter was arrested and charged with possession of drugs and missing a court date, according to police.

Sergeant Lyle Waterworth of the Jonesboro, AR police department says Carter was searched before he was arrested, then placed in handcuffs.

So how did Carter end up dead? Police allege that they must have missed a gun Carter had in his possession during the search, thus allowing him to shoot himself in the head. Yes, you read right, police allege that a handcuffed man in the back of a squad car shot himself in the head.

Officers say the heard a “thump”, then turned and realized that Carter had shot himself in the head.

Carter’s mother says her son was not suicidal, and had even called his girlfriend to tell her he’d be calling her from jail soon. And police searched the suspect twice, so how’d they miss the gun? Also, the gunshot wound was to Carter’s right temple, but Carter’s mother says her son was left handed. Source

Update via

A narrative of the arrest and death of Carter, 21, which the police report labels a suicide, reveals details about the case, including the presence of potential witnesses, all of whom officers said were driving away from the scene when gunshots rang out in the back of a patrol car Saturday night, leaving Carter fatally wounded.

Jonesboro, Arkansas police officer Keith Baggett says he was dispatched to investigate a suspicious vehicle on the night of July 28th, a Saturday, following reports of a white truck “driving up and down” Haltom Street with its lights off. Baggett stated in his report that he approached the white Chevrolet truck, which was parked with just its parking lights on, and found three people inside, all sitting in the front seats — a white male driver, not named in the report because he is 17 years old, a second white male, 19-year-old Timothy Teal of Missouri, and a 21-year-old black male sitting in the passenger seat, who initially gave his name as Laryan Bowman. Baggett said only the driver produced identification. Baggett says he questioned the three and was told by Teal that they were waiting for his cousin, whom he said lived on Haltom Street. Baggett says he radioed the men’s names in to dispatch, and requested back-up. Soon after, Officer Ron Marsh arrived.

Baggett says Teal produced a Missouri ID and that “Bowman” said he was from Tennessee. When Marsh, arrived, Baggett said he asked the officer to remove “Bowman” from the truck, while Baggett frisked and questioned the two other men.

Bowman was placed into the back of Marsh’s patrol car un-handcuffed, while Baggett said he was given permission by the 17-year-old driver to search the truck. He says that while he was searching the vehicle, Marsh told him he found marijuana on Bowman and that Bowman’s real name was Chavis Chacobie Carter, of Mississippi.

Baggett’s report states that Marsh ran Carter’s name and discovered that he had an open warrant, from Desoto County, Mississppi. The officer says that he also found a set of scales under the passenger seat of the truck, where Carter had been sitting. He stated that he opened the scales and smelled a “strong odor of marijuana.” Baggett wrote that he and Marsh placed the driver and Teal into handcuffs, after the men denied knowing anything about the scales. Both were placed into the back of Baggett’s patrol car.

Baggett says he continued his search of the truck and found a plastic bag containing a “white, powdery, granular substance” — also behind the seat near the passenger side. The baggie was tied into a knot, Baggett wrote. He said the driver then told him the truck belonged to his mother and that the substance was “possibly sugar or creamer,” since his mother “sometimes brings food with her to work.”

The officer stated that Marsh found several "new plastic baggies" on Carter's person, which the officers guessed Carter might have been attempting to use as "fake drugs."

Baggett's report says that the driver and passenger told them they had picked Carter up that evening and “taken him to several locations at his direction,” but that they “did not know he had any drugs.” Both the minor and Teal said they were not from Jonesboro and "did not know their way around town."

The officer’s report — the only one released by Jonesboro police — says that Marsh removed Carter from the back of his patrol car and handcuffed him behind his back, searched him a second time, and placed him back into the patrol unit. Just then, a car reportedly pulled up to the scene, in front of Marsh’e scar. According to Baggett, Carter told the officers the woman in the car was his aunt, but that the officer didn’t get her name. He guesses that Carter may have called the aunt while he was in the patrol car not handcuffed. Baggett claims that he explained the situation to Carter’s aunt, and that she drove away. Baggett claims that as he was returning to his patrol car to talk to the driver and Teal, he “saw a vehicle driving north on Haltom” — presumably the aunt leaving the scene — and then “heard a loud thump with a metallic sound.” The officer said he presumed that the car had driven over something. Baggett then claims that he and Marsh returned to the two other men, whom they talked to “for about two minutes,” reading them their rights, and then releasing them.

As the truck drove away, Baggett says he heard Officer Marsh on the radio then felt “several thumps” on the trunk of his car as Marsh sought to get his attention.

He said that he and Marsh returned to Marsh’s patrol car, where they found Carter “in a sitting position … slumped forward with his head in his lap.” Baggett’s report said there was “a large amount of blood on the front of his shirt, pants, seat and floor.” Baggett states that Carter’s hands were still cuffed behind his back and that he was still breathing. The officer said he radioed for EMS and for a supervisor.

Baggett stated that Marsh attempted to remove the handcuffs from Carter but was unable to because of the position of Carter’s body. Baggett’s report says Marsh found a small caliber handgun, “secured it,” then placed it on the trunk of Marsh’s patrol car.
Update on 8/10/2012, new video from CNN about this incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment